Sunday, March 30, 2008

Smelly Feet

Now, I know that any of my family members who read the above title are thinking, "We know who she's talking about!" That's because both my daddy and I have really smelly feet. I have, as an adult, learned how to better take care of my feet so that they don't smell as bad, but boy, it sure is a lot of work!

The custom in Russia is that when you enter a home, you immediately take off your heavy coat and your shoes. You then put on slippers, or just parade around in your sock feet if you don't have any, before entering the house. Then, if you enter a room with a rug or carpet, you take off the slippers and wear only your socks. So you can see where smelly feet might be a problem! You walk into a room full of people and suddenly, people are passing out from the smell!

This morning in church, the deacon who gave the offering sermon (it lasted almost 20 minutes, by the way!) told an anecdote about the smelly feet, and it went something like this: A man walked into the doctor's office and said, "Doctor, you must help me!" The doctor looked at him and said, "Why, what is wrong?" The man took off his shoes and threw his feet forward and begged, "Please, you must help me with my smelly feet!" The doctor looked at his feet, then let his eyes travel up the man until he looked the man in the eye, and the doctor replied, "What can I do? Do you see from where they grow?"

The moral of the story: if your whole body is unclean and smelly (including your attitude), how can you help but have smelly feet!? After all, all things are controled by gravity and are seeking the lowest place to reside!

The deacon further talked about the baggage that we all carry - things left to us by our ancestors and how we look like and act like our parents, grandparents, etc. He then made a disturbing suggestion - if you come from a family of unbelievers, and YOU are the first Christian in your family, then all the Christian "baggage" begins with YOU! You are the one who will set the path that your children and your children's children will follow - you are the pathfinder and you must set a good course. Wow, what awesome responsibility; and how thankful I am for my father and grandfather, both of whom were/are wonderful Baptist ministers. They charted my path, and made my way so much easier - Thanks Daddy - Thanks, Papa Ben!

Don't forget to wash your feet - you never know when someone will ask you take off your shoes to protect their clean floor! And watch your path - others will follow after you - you don't want to leave any trash behind, now do you?

From Russia with Love!
Nancy

1 comment:

The Herd said...

Great message about smelly feet!
Can't wait to be there...well, not with smelly feet!