Wednesday, March 26, 2008

“Don't forget about us, Nancy”

It is hard to get any teenager to trust you, but to get a Russian, orphan teen to trust you is really a difficult undertaking. I don’t know why God has given me a gift for touching these young adults, but they seem to be drawn to me. I often don’t remember much about the visit or the time we spend together, and sometimes I come away afterward and wonder was it a meaningful evening for them. Then, someone or something touches you in a way that you cannot begin to explain or comprehend or even imagine. Such an event happened Monday night at Dormitory #35.

I met Tanya a week ago. She came into the meeting to see “the American who is visiting.” She didn’t stay but a few minutes, asking a couple of questions, before she and two of the other girls left to go to dance class. She looks like a dancer – tall, beautiful, graceful. She also looks like a model – thin and elegant in her carriage.

Well, this past Monday night we talked a little about occasions when you might want to give a card – sharing what events are important in their lives and whether or not we celebrate these in America. Afterward, I gave them card with a piece of craft foil on which they could draw and color their own designs. Some of them struggled with how to begin, but Tanya grabbed her paper, came and sat by me on the bed, and immediately began to draw. It was a funny little cartoon character that she surrounded with hearts. After she had finished, she went over to Valya (counselor for Reflections of Hope Transitional Home and a former orphan herself) and asked Valya to help her write in the card.

After a few minutes of whispering back and forth, and several corrections, Tanya walked over, sat down beside me, and presented me with the card. I was so shocked – I guess I thought they would want to give the card to someone here in Russia who was special to them. Here is what I found inside the card:

“Nancy! Don’t forget about us Nancy and I wish to you all best!!! From Tanya”

I hugged her, thanked her, and assured her that I will never forget her; and I told her how special she had made the evening by presenting the card to me. I will cherish it always! These are the nights when I return home and cry myself to sleep!

Pray for Tanya and the other young adults at Dormitory #35, because these are the ones who have been classified as handicapped, whether physical (many are crippled, deaf, etc.) or mental (many are labeled as educationally handicapped). But despite all the labels that are placed on them, they are just kids yearning for someone to remember them, and I will do that for sure!

Nancy

5 comments:

The Herd said...

Too sweet for words! How special! I wish we were there already!!!
Karen B

Nancy said...

I wish you were here too!! Everyone said to be sure to tell you happy birthday from all the kids here.

Ms. Shenanigan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ms. Shenanigan said...

Nancy, I know first hand how hard it is to find time to write and post blogs when there is so much to do there with time dwindling each day before distance intervenes. I want you to be encouraged that your blogs really do connect and lift the spirit. I wonder if the kids and everyone there involved knows how much love they bring to all of us who read about them and their experiences. It is a blessing to our lives just to be allowed to know of them. What a gift they give the world. We love them all even if we never meeting them in person. Tell them for me that we hope they don't forget about us either. We would all be there if we could. What a blessing you and your work is. I gave my heart to Alex in Orphanage #14 on my trip (your first trip)...I wish I knew his well being now and everyday, and I give my heart to everyone you meet everytime I read your blogs.

God Bless you every day and every hour, Shannon H.

Nancy said...

Shannon! How good to hear from you. Thanks for your encouraging words, and I will surely pass along your thoughts, love, and blessings for our children here! Hope your family is well. Email me when you have time, would love to get caught up on you and yours.