Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Jump Start


It's time to jump into a new mission trip to St. Petersburg! I've got a spring in my step and spring in my heart - now all I need is a spring in my hair! Don't you love spring with all this wonderful wind! I know it's blowing in a new season, but it's also blowing all the pollen and stuff around, and it's reeking havoc with my hair! Oh, well, no time to worry about that, it's time to pack and repack to try to get everything to fit into those two suitcases that cannot weigh over 50 lbs. each. Talk about a challenge!

Oh, did you hear about the snow we got here in the Deep South!? It was wonderful - it didn't mess up the roads, but was just beautiful - even if only for 24 hours. I know the kids in St. Petersburg will get a hoot out of our "snow storm" - especially since they live in 3-foot-deep snow and ice throughout the winter season, with temps hovering around -10 to -30 degrees F. Like everything else, snow is relative to your environment.

Okay, enough about the weather (and my hair). My first team will be made up of myself and Dustin Clark from Huntsville, Alabama. Dustin will be familiar to you since he was also a part of my fall team last November. As soon as he got home, Dustin contacted me and said, "Ms. Nancy, will you take me back to Russia during spring break?" Of course, I said "YES!" And the rest, as they say, is history. So Dustin and I will have a busy week. Below is our schedule for the week:

Mon., Mar. 17 - Wed., Mar. 18:
morning at Hospital #15; afternoon at Child in Danger Shelter

We will be working each evening with young adults from both Dormitory #70 and #35. These dormitories are for kids ages 17-23 and are multi-story buildings that hold between 300-500 kids. We will be doing a large group activity on Tuesday night with about 135 kids at Dormitory #70, so keep us in your prayers. We, as Americans, are not allowed to share Christ with these kids while in the state-run facilities, but once we make friends with them, we invite them to small group fellowships at the Road of Life Family Homes where we can do Bible study and invite them to attend church with us.

Lots of opportunities for fun, fellowship, and making new frends, especially since I will be there for six weeks.

1 comment:

Eddie said...

Nancy,
We are praying for you!
Eddie, Angel, Isaac, Jurdon, Blake, and McClain