Saturday, April 19, 2008

A True Servant

My paternal grandmother, Mama Jewel, was a real stickler about certain things – you take a bath everyday, you honor God and say your prayers, and you try to find some way to serve others. She taught all of us the value of helping others, whether it was opening a door for an older person, or helping someone who had dropped something at the grocery. We were all taught to look for opportunities to serve, because she believed servanthood and sainthood were almost one and the same thing! Mama Jewel would have loved Vera!

This past Friday night we traveled outside of St. Petersburg one hour by bus to a resort on the Gulf of Finland (I would tell you its name, but I can’t spell it and you couldn’t pronounce it anyway!). Most of the Road of Life family attended (there were 28 adults and 2 children), and we invited several young women who are prospective, future family members – Vera was one of those guests.

I first met Vera on a Monday night after my first visit to Dormitory #35. When we left the building to start our walk to the metro, Vera was there waiting for us. She was always faithful to wait for Lucya and the team and walk with us to the metro. Last Monday night, the night that we brought little Marina home with us, Vera saw that we had extra bags to carry, and a child to watch over, so she decided to come all the way home with us. We offered her some soup for dinner, a quick cup of tea, and then she left to head home to the dormitory. On Thursday, she called Lucya and asked if it would be okay for her to come with us on our retreat, and Lucya told her definitely YES. Vera, along with several others, met us at a northern metro site and we made the one hour trek to the resort.

Throughout the evening, and all day Saturday, every time I turned around, Vera was there – ready to take out the trash, sweep the floor, help serve tea to anyone entering the room. When we started home Saturday evening, she told Lucya that she was going to travel home with me because I had a tote bag to carry and she didn’t want me to have to carry my purse and the bag. I told her that I could make it, but she said, “No, I want to help you. You have done so much for me this weekend.” So I invited her to spend the night with us (Masha, a young girl from Orphanage 6 was also planning to spend the night). Her first reaction was no, because she had forgotten to bring her house shoes, and no one enters a Russian home without slippers on. She said she would go to the dorm and get them, but I told her we had plenty of slippers and to just come on home with us.

On Friday night, when I asked Vera if she would like to come live at the family home, she said, “Yes, I would love to live in the family home with these people, but I can’t.” I asked her why she couldn’t and she told me about a young man at Dormitory 35 who is crippled and moves very slowly, and she feels that God wants her to help this young man. She told Lucya, “If I leave, who will help him? He depends on me. I will visit the family home when you will invite me, but I cannot come live there as long as someone at the dormitory needs me.” I told her that God had given her a true gift – the gift of serving others – and she told me, “Yes, I have felt the need to help others for 10 years. I want to always help others.”

I fully expect that the next time I look up the word “servant” in the dictionary I’ll see a picture of Vera as an example!

From Russia with Love!
Nancy

1 comment:

The Herd said...

Wow!! That's really amazing how humble and serving her heart is. It does look like she is much needed in her dorm though...but what a concept that one puts anothers needs/desires about her own!! Amazing! A God Servant for sure!