Sunday, April 11, 2010

“Go Ye Therefore”

Jesus said, “Go!” and we have taken Him at His word – and we have now arrived! As anyone who has ever traveled internationally can tell you, it’s a tough trip, but I personally feel totally alive when I arrive in Russia – even after a 19 hour trip. Everything went according to plan on the journey – our flight left DFW on time (and we were all there and checked in on time); we arrived in Frankfurt, Germany on time (and enjoyed the 5 hour lay-over with John Neese and his team of Martha and Tony Leone who were traveling on to Estonia for a week of ministry); and arrived in St. Petersburg on time. Unfortunately I miscounted the luggage upon our arrival and we left a piece behind – so we have to go back today (Sunday) and retrieve it.

Anyone who knows me knows that I don’t particularly like inside animals – and especially don’t care much for cats – mostly because I’m allergic to them and that hair just gets everywhere! Well, on our 3 hour flight from Germany to Russia there was a lady with a cat in a carrier on board the plane with us, and that cat howled from the moment it came on board till well after we had picked up our luggage in St. Petersburg! I can still close my eyes and hear that Siamese-type “yowl”! Every one of us who could grabbed our earbuds and tried to zone out; others just suffered through. At one point Anne Brashier and I were wondering if anyone would notice if we flushed him/her down the super-sonic toilet!! I must beg the forgiveness of all my cat-loving friends (especially you, Becky Brown), but GIVE ME A BREAK – put him/her in the luggage compartment and give the rest of us a break – lol!

Our cast of characters:
Well, there’s me, Nancy Durrett, the intrepid leader. This is my 10th mission trip to St. Petersburg and my 6th as team leader. It always amazes me that I can feel so drained and almost totally exhausted on the leg of the trip from Frankfurt to St.P and then as soon as I touch down and we start loading luggage into Vova’s van and driving into the city it hits me, “I’m HOME!” I have so many that are truly a major part of my life that live in this beautiful city, and it always feels like a homecoming to me. I am tired, but full of anticipation, and can’t wait to get to church this morning and then begin our ministry at Child in Danger Shelter on Monday. “God bless us on our journey – keep us strong – keep us safe – and use us to bless the wonderful souls You put in our path during this amazing journey.” Amen

Jonathon Furr is making his third mission trip to St.P. He is from Lewisville, TX and also went with a group from his church to minister to people at the Winter Olympics in Victoria, Canada this past February. I can take credit for putting Jonathon in touch with his “arts and crafts side” on his first mission trip to Russia and though he swears he lost his “man card” on that first trip with me, he still looks pretty rough and ready to me. Jonathon is living at the Road of Life Boys’ home at Frunzenskaya this week. So keep him in your prayers as there is no official translator with him there, although Karina (16) and David (13), the children of the Christian family counselors, have been taking English lessons for two years, and are getting really good at communicating.

Note from Anne Brashier (team member from Downsville, LA):
This is my first mission trip and wow! Has it started out great! I have not only met some very interesting people from Ruston and Dallas, but have met some extraordinary people here in Russia. We all went to church this morning where John Bull preached a very powerful sermon. The church service was held in a hotel, as they do not have individual church buildings in Russia, like we have at home. The service and the members were all so inspiring. The apartment where we are staying is so nice and comfortable. Our interpreters are exceptional. Please continue to pray for all missionaries, as the power of prayer is great. I have to thank Nancy for asking me to accompany her on this trip. Isn’t it great when good comes out of an error or oops (“OY”) in Microsoft excel? This is what Nancy said when she was teaching me computations on the program “Excel”. I asked her what that meant, and she said it was Russian for Oops! or I made an error. Then the discussion began about her trips to Russia, at which time she invited me to join her on this mission trip. I had been wanting to do mission work for a very long time, but always had an excuse. I think God placed Nancy there with me that day, for me to finally answer his calling. I pray God will use us all to our fullest abilities.

Note from Sasha Newman (team member from New York):
Well the trip is nice but so much to see and do. I am glad I came and am getting to practice some of my Russian with Anya and the other girls from Road of Life Family Homes. I like the apartment where we are staying, and Anya is such an awesome helper. She rocks ‘cause she helps us a lot. Well looking forward to more things on our way on this trip.
Note from Jonathan Furr (3x StP trip participant):
Well, after another long, sleepless flight (except for the 3 hour flight from Frankfurt to St. P where I got an exit row seat) we arrived in St. Petersburg ready for a long night of sleep. When I arrived at the Fruzenskaya apartment, where I would be spending the week, I was surprised to find a large group of people there. The family at the home was having a sleepover for their son and his friends. After watching the end of a movie in Russian I decided it was time for me to head off to bed. After I had bedded down I thought I would go let my host family know I needed to meet up with the rest of the team at 10:45 the next morning for church. As I was walking out, the host family came in to set up all the rest of the beds for everyone else who was sleeping there. So, I was destined to stay up for a few minutes. After about 15 minutes of waiting, I was finally off to sleep. I got a good night of sleep only occasionally interrupted by the sounds of the boys rough housing.

Two of the boys that were sleeping over were Losha and Misha who I had met before on my previous trips. It was good to see them again. In the morning, Losha nearly tore my arm off arm wrestling. I think he wanted a rematch since I always beat him last time I was here (consequently causing shoulder problems for the following few months). Maybe this time since he won the first one he will see fit to let me keep my arm.

At church today we got to see John and Karen Bull and their family. The Bulls went with us on the first mission trip I went on here in Russia and as a result of that trip, they moved here. I am hoping to get to talk to them a little more this week to catch up. That is all for now. End transmission.
From Russia with Love!
Nancy and the Gang

No comments: