Monday, April 14, 2008

There are all kinds of orphans.

God has truly blessed us tonight. He has given us Little Marina to come to stay with us for the next three nights (a three-night-orphan is still an orphan, and we have made her a part of our family). You may remember the story of Natasha that I told you – she is the tram driver who was involved in the accident written about below where the 23 year old died. You can imagine the psychological stress that Natasha has been under for the past three weeks, and last Monday night she asked Lucya, “Will you take my daughter Marina?” At first Lucya did not know how to respond, and she told me about it the next day. We have continued to pray, and God orchestrated not only for Marina to come and stay with us for the next three nights, but to join us in our ministry this week at Hospital #15 and Child in Danger.

We had originally planned to be at Fuydor Shelter for Homeless Children, and it would not have been safe to take Marina there, but God already had a plan in action for us not to go to Fuydor, but to do Hospital 15 and CID instead. At these two places Marina will just be another child joining in the games, singing, and making crafts.

As I am writing this, she is in a bubble bath with a crown of bubbles on her head. She has laughed more in the last two hours than probably in her entire life. When we first met her last Monday she was withdrawn and would not even smile when offered candy. All of you who know Lucya know that if she cannot get a child to smile, then no one can! It seemed hopeless to us. Tonight, I presented Marina with a small backpack with colored pens and two coloring book – she and Anya made quite a bit of progress in their coloring tonight! But even then, a quiet thank you, but no smile.

At first she cried when her mother said that she would stay with Lucya, but when we got home and Marina met Sarah (the cat that belongs to our Marina), she began to run and play, just like a normal 5 year old. And Nadezda, the director at CID, has said that she will have a psychologist visit with Marina tomorrow and that Natasha can bring her anytime that she needs some rest, and Marina will be welcome there. We thank God that he has placed this special child of his in charge of Child in Danger – Nadezda is truly a special lady!

It is wonderful that God has placed Christians here ready to serve, ready to take in a child, ready to give a mother a “vacation” (even if it only means a couple days of rest). We thank God for the chance to love this sweet child, and we ask that you pray for her and her family, just as we prayed with Natasha when she left our home tonight – leaving behind her most treasured possession for us to guard and keep.
By the way, when Lucya put Marina to bed, Marina said, "Can I tell you a secret?" And Lucya replied, "Yes, of course." Marina then told her, "My mama beats me. Sometimes when I am bad she grabs me a throws me against the wall." Lucya asked her, "What about your papa?" and Marina replied, "No. He punishes me, but he does not hit me." Please pray for Marina and her family, and that God will help us to find help for Natasha.
I always said when I was a young adult, before I had children, that I could never understand how a parent could hurt a child. Then, after I had my own, and would find myself so tired, and so frustrated, that many times I had to leave the room and go be by myself to pray, "God, please do not let me lift my hand to my child! Help me, Father! Help me!" That's when I realized that I was one of the lucky ones - I had a Heavenly Father to turn to who would help me through those times. And because of His grace and His mercy, I never did give in to the temptation to take my frustrations out on my children. I also knew that for every time God helped me through that time, there were millions of mothers who did not have Him to stay their hand, and their children suffered. Thank you, God, for being my loving Father!

From Russia with Love!
Nancy

1 comment:

The Herd said...

I am soooo glad that you guys(gals) were able to take her in. How sad that she is hit and beaten at times...I will pray for her and her mom.