Monday, January 17, 2011

FINDING TRACTION

We’ve all seen snow and ice – well granted, in Louisiana (LA) we haven’t seen much of it, but what we have seen we quickly learned has a great potential for danger. Walking in snow in the past for me has been a pretty slushy endeavor, but here in St. Petersburg (StP), it’s kind of like walking in grey sand. Of course it’s dirty (that accounts for the grey), but when you step on it, it’s like sand because you just kind of sink down and it shifts around your feet – of course that provides for a good cardio-workout. But beware, underneath that “shifting sand” is the greatest danger – black ice!

When I walk in LA I take nice, long, swift strides – my students used to complain all the time that I was walking too fast. But here, I’ve learned to do what I call the Penguin Shuffle. No more long strides, pushing off each step with my toe, but instead, flat-footed, small plods – just pick ‘em up and put ‘em down – don’t try to push off on anything! I also quickly learned to beware of “clear” sidewalks, because what looks clear to my naïve LA eye may actually be slippery, dangerous ice. So instead I’ve learned to search for the edge of the walk, where light coverings of snow provide for traction – I think you’re getting a clear picture now – me doing the Penguin Shuffle, head down, just glancing up enough to keep my bearings as I move from place to place. A little snow on the side is a good thing – of course too much snow (like anything else in life that appears to be “good”) can also be a hazard – I don’t want it getting into my boots and causing me to walk around with cold feet all day.

As most of you know, I was raised in a wonderful Christian home – the first stories and songs I learned were from the Bible. So luckily I’ve had the “traction” of Christian principles to always fall back on throughout my life. Of course, that’s not to say that I haven’t often wandered off into the deep snow and gotten my feet cold and wet, but luckily I’ve always had that well-established history of God’s Word that was so loving taught to me at an early age to fall back on and to help get me back on track.

This journey during the cold of winter (oh, by the way, it’s -20C here today – that’s equal to -4F) has been an adventure for me, but each time I slip I have a chance to thank God for His protection as He keeps me upright and still traveling on.

From Russia With Love,

Nancy

No comments: