Monday, November 26, 2007

Leave it to Zhenia

It is a typical day at Orphanage 14 – everyone is late getting there, we’re trying to make sure we have everything we need for the afternoon before leaving the resource room, and finally we decide to begin, even though we don’t feel prepared. Reyisa (the head counselor at O14) takes us downstairs to the large assembly room and twelve children between the ages of 9-12 begin showing up one or two at a time. We introduce ourselves to each one as he/she arrives, and then starts the frustration. We are a small group in a large room, so everyone begins running and chasing each other, knocking each other down; and when we finally get them back together, they begin to hide behind the curtains at both the front and back of the room while we are trying to do an activity. We try to gather them together for a craft project and it is impossible. We are three Russian adults and three American adults, and we have lost total control!

Finally Dasha (SAC’s administrative assistant), goes to get Reyisa who tells her there is a counselor present. Dasha informs her that no, there is no one with us except the kids. So Reyisa comes down and gets the psychologist, who tells me that these children are not right in the head and they are not able to learn or do crafts; that we must do one small activity only and then just play games with them. The psychologist then informs me that we can only have the children for one hour because they must do homework. I respectfully thank her for the information and assure Reyisa that we will be through by 4:30 p.m. and will plan to only be with the children on Tuesday from 3:30-4:30.

As I turn back to the activity we were doing before being interrupted, I notice that they are all almost finished making their angel photo holders (It is a craft project and they have all done a beautiful job of it – don’t tell me they can’t do it. If you give them slow, clear instructions – of course they can do it.) So I ask the group, “Why do you think Nancy brought an angel photo holder?” They all shout, “Because it is Christmas season!” I reply, “Yes, but why do we think of an angel at Christmas? Can anyone tell me the story of Christmas and why the angel was important?” There is silence for a moment, and then Zhenia raises his hand and then, through Rouslan, one of the translators, begins to share: “Jesus was born in a barn. The angel told the shepherds. The shepherds came and worshiped him. But that is not the end of the story. He grew to be a man. He was a kind man. He healed people and taught people how to be good people. And then they killed him. But that is not the end of the story. He did not stay dead. He came from the grave and lives today.”

I asked him, “Zhenia, do you believe that story, all of it?” And he looked up at me and said, “Yes. God tells us and it is true.” I gave him a hug and thanked him for sharing the story, and then the counselor came to get the children. Rouslan looked at me and said, “You see! You think no one is listening, but even if only one hears, it makes it all for the best. I remember as a child I sat through Bible stories and played and did not pay attention; but as an adult, those stories come back to me and I remember, and God reminds me what is right.”

So despite the frustration and the powerless feeling of being shutdown at every turn by the administration at Orphanage 14, I know that God is still in control. He will get His word out, no matter what they try to do to stop it. And though I know that we will face the same problems today, and even though they have cut out time from two hours to one, we will go – if for no one else but Zhenia! Thank you, Lord, for the Zhenia’s and Rouslan’s of the world!

1 comment:

Ashlie said...

It is so amazing! That bring a smile to my lips and warmth in my heart. That is so encouraging!